Follow these seven safe sleep steps.
- Use a cot that meets the Australian Standard (AS 2172).
- Always put your baby on their back to sleep.
- There should be no quilts, doonas, duvets, pillows, cot bumpers, sheepskins or soft toys in your baby´s cot or sleeping place.
- Make sure your baby´s head remains uncovered while sleeping. Place your baby with their feet to the foot of the cot. You can use a baby sleeping bag with fitted neck and arm holes (but no hood) rather than using extra bedding like quilts and doonas.
- Make sure your baby does not overheat. Dress your baby as you would yourself.
- Use a firm mattress that fits snugly into the cot with a firmly fitted sheet. If bedding is used it should be securely tucked in and not loose.
- Do not let anyone smoke around your baby.
For more information, see cot mandatory safety standards.
Last reviewed 20/12/2011