When you rent
Make sure you:
- compare products on the basis of price, condition and rental term
- read through the contract terms and conditions before you sign
- check if you need to leave a deposit, and if so, when you will get it back
- get a signed copy of the contract, detailing the condition of the item you are hiring, your deposit and payments and the insurance policy.
Before you buy ex-rental products:
- find out how much the product would be when new, so you can compare prices
- work out how much the purchase will cost you in the long run, considering that a new product is covered by warranty while an ex-rental may need ongoing maintenance
- check that the product is safe
- ask if the product has a guarantee, what it applies to and how long it applies for.
If you have a complaint about an ex-rental product you purchased, write to the manager and try to resolve it directly with them first.
Last reviewed 28/11/2011