Skip links and keyboard navigation

Work in the motor industry

  • Trust accounts

    You need a trust account if you collect debts on behalf of someone else. Find out what you need to do to open and deal with your trust account.

  • Statutory warranty

    You must give a statutory warranty when you sell used vehicles. Find out what you need to do, which vehicles are exempt and what is changing.

  • Selling a used car

    You must follow certain rules when selling a used vehicle. Find out the steps that are required by law and how upcoming changes will affect this.

  • Acquiring from a seller

    Whenever you acquire a used car from a seller, you must get certain details from that person. Find out what details you need to collect.

  • Trust account audits

    You must appoint an auditor, who will inspect and report on your trust accounts. Find out how to lodge their report and when it will be due.

  • Information for auditors

    A licensee submits their own audit report, except if the auditor finds serious irregularities. Find out what an auditor must immediately report to us.

  • Cooling-off period

    There is a cooling-off period for used vehicle sales. Find out when you have to give it, what form to use and other rights and responsibilities.

  • Disclosure

    You must give certain information to a buyer before signing a motor vehicle sale contract. Find out what you must tell them and what you need to do.

  • Complaints

    You may need to deal with consumer complaints. Find out about the relevant codes of conduct and how to create a good policy for handling complaints.

  • Claim fund

    A consumer can seek compensation from the claim fund if they lose money because of your actions.

  • Business premises

    You must give us details about all of your places of business. Find out who can be in charge of an office, and how to change any of your locations.

  • Employment register

    You must keep an employment register until the new law takes effect and abolishes this rule. Find out what information you need to include.

  • Selling on consignment

    If you sell a motor vehicle on behalf of someone else, you must have signed approval. Find out what form you need to fill in and what you need to do.

  • Selling a used car by auction

    You must follow certain rules when auctioning a used vehicle. Find out the steps that are required by law and how upcoming changes will affect this.

  • Your licence

    You must always have the right licence and display it for people to see. Find out the rules about your licence and how they are changing.

  • Substitute licensee

    If you’re going away, you can choose to appoint a substitute licensee to run your business. Find out how to appoint them and what restrictions apply.

What's changing?

These new laws will come into effect in late 2014:

  • Motor Dealers and Chattel Auctioneers Act 2014
  • Motor Dealers and Chattel Auctioneers Regulation 2014
  • Agents Financial Administration Act 2014

Until then, you must continue to follow the Property Agents and Motor Dealers Act 2000 and regulations.

The new laws will reduce red tape for your business.

You can find an outline of each change by following the appropriate link on this page.

Find out about the overall changes here.

Last updated
1 July 2014

Page feedback

Your privacy

Information collected through this form is used to improve this website.

Any information you submit that could identify you (e.g. name, email address) will be stored securely, and destroyed after we process your feedback.

  1. This page was
  2. We want this information to be the best it can be and we know we can’t do it without you. Let us know what you thought of this page and what other information you would like to see.

    We do not reply to feedback. Contact us if you need a response.

  3. Contact (optional)