Access keys | Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer |
Problems viewing this site
Home > Property agents and managers > Licence types > Real estate agent

Real estate agent

Printable view Printable view

The real estate agent licence allows you to:

You cannot:


To be eligible for a real estate agent licence, you must:

An individual is considered suitable if they:

If you are not an Australian citizen, you need to provide an international passport to complete the check on your working visa. Your visa must state that you can work in Australia. You must also provide written advice from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship to explain any conditions on your visa.

Training requirements

Note: If you have held a comparable real estate agent licence within two years of applying for the licence, you do not need to complete the training requirements.

To qualify for this licence you must complete these subjects from the industry-recognised Property Development and Management Training Package:

Alternatively, you can complete these units from the Property Services Training Package endorsed by the National Quality Council:

Registered training organisations

For information on courses and training providers in Queensland, visit

Applying for a licence

To apply for a real estate agent licence:

Criminal history checks

Applicants must undergo a criminal history check to confirm their suitability.

The criminal history check costs $38.40 (which includes $1.13 GST) for each person who appears on the application form. The fee applies to all applications and renewal notices.

Processing time

Processing time is 4-6 weeks. However, it can take longer if we need to contact you for missing information or fees.

The processing time may be up to six weeks because the criminal history check process, handled by the Queensland Police Service, is thorough and time consuming.

Send certified documents

Take the original document and a copy to a Justice of the Peace, Commissioner for Declarations, solicitor, barrister or a Notary Public. They will stamp and/or sign the copy and write ´This is a true copy of the original document´.

The Department of Justice and Attorney-General has a list of JPs in your area. Otherwise, contact your local post office, courthouse, bank, shopping centre manager or pharmacy who may be able to advise on the location of local JPs.

Please note that a photocopy is not a certified document.


Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to a partial refund if you withdraw your application or it is refused. We will also refund any unused criminal history check fees or fingerprinting fees.

How useful did you find this information?

Please type the word exactly as it appears above (to aid in spam prevention)

Please only use this box if you wish to give us feedback about the website and the information available on this page. There are alternate methods if you wish to make a general enquiry or lodge a complaint.

Last reviewed 28/06/2013

Printable view