Our role in product safety is to ensure consumer products are as safe as possible and fully inform consumers about using products safely and informing business about selling safe products. Our long term goal is to reduce the number of product-related injuries to Queenslanders.
We work towards this goal by:
- monitoring and enforcing mandatory safety standards for consumer products
- recommending unsafe products be banned or recalled
- providing guidance to industry about supplying safe products
- providing safety information to consumers
- investigating complaints about unsafe goods.
Products with mandatory safety standards
A list of products that must comply with mandatory safety and information standards in Australia.
A list of products banned in Australia.
How to keep up to date with product recalls.
Advice on what to look for when selling second hand.
Guides have been prepared to help businesses and legal practitioners to understand key elements of the Australian Consumer Law, including about product safety. Download Product safety - A guide for businesses and legal practitioners (PDF, 2.2 MB) or order a hard copy by calling 13 QGOV (13 74 68) or email OFTComms@justice.qld.gov.au.
Last reviewed 21/12/2011