Moving can be a stressful time, but you can reduce problems by planning carefully and doing your homework.
Before you hire
It is important to do some careful planning when choosing which removalist service you will use.
Make sure you:
- shop around and compare quotes
- confirm what is and what isn´t included in the price, for example packing and unpacking.
- if the cost covers the time it takes to move the goods or quantity of goods
- if the removalist is a member of the Australian Removalist Association (AFRA)
- where is the journey deemed to start and end
- if there are any delays on the day, is there extra cost involved for storage
- if payment is required up front.
We recommend you do not pay until the move is complete.
It is very important to ensure that you understand everything contained in the contract, including:
- full details of the service being provided (specifying if it includes packing and unpacking)
- the pick up and delivery address, dates and times (look out for the fine print saying they won´t guarantee delivery on the dates specified)
- a household inventory of goods being moved
- insurance for any loss or damage.
Not taking out insurance can be a risky and expensive mistake.
The majority of removalist companies only have insurance that covers vehicles in the case of an accident. It is important that you consider taking out your own insurance to cover any possible damage or loss of your goods.
You should ensure your insurance is comprehensive by:
- choosing the insurance that suits your needs such as transit, contents, replacement or indemnity
- shopping around for insurance and comparing quotes, ensuring you are comparing the same type of insurance cover
- ensuring the cover includes provisions for both loss and damage
- obtaining a copy of the policy before the move and checking the terms and conditions to ensure it covers replacement value of your belongings and if there may be an excess.
Last reviewed 30/11/2011