All fitness service suppliers must comply with the Fair Trading (Code of Practice - Fitness Industry) Regulation 2003.
Penalties apply for non-compliance.
Aims of the Code
The Code of Practice:
- maintains appropriate standards of trading in the fitness industry
- promotes client confidence and safety in the fitness industry
- ensures that fitness suppliers operate ethically, professionally and in clients´ best interests
- details the rights and obligations of fitness service suppliers and their clients.
Features of the Code
The Code of Practice contains these features:
- mandatory written contracts signed by the client and supplier
- 48-hour cooling-off period for new agreements
- full fee disclosure in all membership agreements
- a limit on up-front fees a client can pay to a supplier
- a ban on new fitness centres collecting fees before they open for business
- a client´s right to terminate an agreement due to permanent sickness or incapacity, or other circumstances.
Last reviewed 28/11/2011