Access keys | Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer |
Problems viewing this site
Getting help for financial hardship

Getting help for financial hardship

Printable view Printable view

If you are going through financial difficulty, or you cannot get access to credit, several options are available to you.

Financial advice

You can get free financial counselling through community organisations and some government agencies.

Financial counsellors give you information and assistance about your financial rights and responsibilities. This may include analysing and assessing your financial position, and giving you information about credit, debt and insolvency issues.

In some cases, financial counsellors can advocate and negotiate with creditors on your behalf.

Using a licensed financial advisor can help you:

The following websites provide a search facility to locate financial counselling services in Queensland:

Please note: this may not be a complete list of financial counselling services within the state of Queensland.

Urgent assistance

If you need urgent assistance, consider contacting these departments and organisations.


Get support and financial assistance through services including rent assistance, direct bill paying services and crisis payments for people in severe financial hardship.

You could be eligible for a financial allowance to meet day-to-day living costs if you are studying, job seeking, widowed or caring for a child.

Queensland Department of Housing and Public Works (Housing Services)

You may be eligible for a bond loan, which is an interest-free loan for people who can´t afford to pay a full rental bond.

If you are having trouble making home loan repayments due to unforeseen circumstances, you could be eligible for a mortgage relief loan.

Queensland Department of Education, Training and Employment

If you live in a remote area and have a child who has to board away from home to attend school, you could be eligible for financial assistance.

Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

The office has a free financial counselling service specifically for primary producers.

Get help managing drought, seasonal conditions, natural disasters, industry reform, low prices and changing rural credit policies.

Charities and community organisations

You could also get assistance from community organisations such as St Vincent de Paul, Lifeline, Red Cross and the Salvation Army.

They offer food vouchers, clothing, furniture, accommodation vouchers, and assistance paying for utility bills, housing, public transport fares, medical expenses and educational expenses.

No Interest Loan Scheme

The No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS) provides interest free loans for individuals or families living on low incomes. It is a community-based program that enables you to access fair, safe and equitable credit for the purchase of essential goods and services. Eligibility criteria varies between each organisation.

Please contact your nearest NILS provider for advice on your eligibility to access a NILS interest free loan.

NILS providers



North Queensland


Gold Coast

Ipswich and West

Logan area

Central Queensland

Banks and financial institutions

Some financial institutions offer products to assist financially disadvantaged consumers, such as savings-incentive products and concessions on bank fees. Some credit unions offer short-term loans for as little as $200, with terms starting at three months.

Utility service providers

Various utility service providers have arrangements for people having trouble paying utility bills. Ask your service provider about payment plan options.

Student unions

Student unions provide short-term emergency loans, financial counselling and referral services.

How useful did you find this information?

Please type the word exactly as it appears above (to aid in spam prevention)

Please only use this box if you wish to give us feedback about the website and the information available on this page. There are alternate methods if you wish to make a general enquiry or lodge a complaint.

Last reviewed 17/09/2013

Printable view