Keep your car in good condition and it will remain reliable and safe. A simple maintenance routine can extend the trouble-free life of your vehicle.
Regular safety checks
Regularly check that:
- all exterior lights work
- all glass surfaces are clean and free from chips, cracks and scratches
- the windscreen wipers and washers work properly
- the horn works
- the handbrake holds the car still on steep hills
- the seat belts are in good condition
- the tyres are in good condition and at the right pressure
- all gauges and warning lights work when you start the car
- all fluid and oil levels are topped up when needed, including the engine oil, automatic transmission fluid, radiator coolant, power steering fluid, brake and clutch fluid, and battery and windscreen washer fluid.
RACQ has information on a range of car maintenance, design and safety issues.
Regular services help keep long-term repair costs down. They also allow the mechanic to identify minor problems before they become more costly major problems.
Follow the manufacturer´s service schedule to correctly maintain your vehicle. If your car is well looked after, it will have a higher resale or trade-in value if you choose to sell.
Last reviewed 22/11/2011