Mobile phones are handy but they can cost much more than you think.
Before you sign a contract
- Ask yourself: do I need the mobile and can I afford it?
- Shop around to compare prices, services and plans.
- Consider prepaid cards so you only spend what you can afford.
- Ask about fees and charges.
- Check mobile coverage-will it work?
- Ask about warranties.
- Ask about actions and costs for defective, lost or stolen mobile phones.
- Ask about costs to change or break the contract.
- Take the contract away to read the fine print and look for hidden fees and charges.
- Find out the total minimum cost that you will pay over the entire contract.
After you sign a contract
- Get a copy of the contract and keep it in a safe place.
- Let the trader know if your situation changes (e.g. if your mobile is lost or stolen or you can not afford repayments).
- Don´t lend your phone or buy them for others. You´ll be liable for the charges.
- Remember each call you make costs you money. Many people get a surprise when they get huge bills.
- Use a PIN so only you can make calls from your mobile.
Don´t take the risk-read and understand the contract!
Jack loved his new mobile. He made lots of calls to friends and family. When he got the bill he was surprised. It was much more than he expected. Even though he stopped using it he had to keep paying fees each month for a long time.
Last reviewed 11/04/2013