Follow these seven easy steps to aquatic toy safety.
1. Choose an inflatable toy or swimming aid that is appropriate for your child´s age and weight.
2. Check that all the air inlets of the inflatable toy or swimming aid have non-return valves with stoppers permanently attached to them.
3. Make sure there are no punctures or damaged valves.
4. Always follow the manufacturer´s instructions when using swimming aids such as vests and
5. Read the safety warnings and instructions about using and caring for these devices. Flotation toys are not safety devices.
6. Always supervise children when they are using aquatic toys or swimming aids-these are not lifesaving devices. Children can drown if their swimming aid fails, if they do not use it properly, or if they get injured while playing with it.
7. Remember that children have limited motor skills and are less able to judge and react quickly to potentially dangerous situations.
Last reviewed 05/08/2011